Climate change is looming large and is threatening us in many ways .Scheduled and unscheduled power cuts happen to be some of them. People’s lives are thrown out of gear and nothing much can be done about it.
It is high time we realized that we can circumvent our woes if we refrain from wasting electricity recklessly and start conserving this scanty resource.
It is true that some people find it impossible to function in their homes and workplace even in broad daylight without switching their lights on because natural light does not seep into their homes. In most cases it would be literally impossible for people to get on with their morning chores if they did not use the various electrically operated electronic devices. Yet whenever these very people receive their electricity bills the amount does not evade shocking them.
It is a fact that quite a few kilowatts of electricity are regularly wasted by each household mostly due to forgetfulness and carelessness. This oversight not only raises the amount on their bills but also results in inadvertent and unfortunate accidents. Cases of electrocution, fires, and short circuits that have been reported almost with clockwork precision can be traced to domestic carelessness.
While one can understand that nobody is shirking their responsibilities of switching off lights intentionally, it will do good to remind them constantly about the same.
You could follow a few of these tips and herd your family and colleagues to a more electrically conscientious existence. One could put up unique cards which read “Thank U for giving me rest” above each switchboard which could inspire people to switch off unused electrical appliances. You could install zero watt bulbs in the bathroom, garage, motor room or wherever else you have temporarily functioning electrical appliances. If the bulb is switched on while operating the appliance then it will be a reminder that one or both the appliances are in use and needs to be put off after one is through with its utility.
Here are a few more tips that will help us to tread on the path of saving of electricity.
- Make sure that all the lights and appliances are switched off after use /before locking up the house/ before going to bed.
- If you need constant lighting in the house /staircase / corridors or the toilet, resort to using a zero watt bulb constantly in those areas.
- Using natural lighting saves lots of energy and produces a much nicer environment besides. Fix readymade skylights which are available which let in only the light and not the heat.
- Use Candle fluorescent lights to the maximum possible extent to conserve electricity.
- Try to avoid the use of the drier except during wet weather and save up on the current bill. Moreover sun dried clothes turn out crisper and fresher.
- Use of Air conditioners can also be avoided in pleasant climatic conditions. Try growing a few indoor plants to keep the room fresh and cool.
- Turn off lights and fans when you’re not using them, even for just a few minutes. The idea that lights use extra electricity to start up is a myth.
- Do not leave the music system, computer, television and other appliances switched on when you are not using them constantly.
- Avoid using electrically operated devices to exercise your body; this measure will cut the flab on the electricity bill as well as on your body.
- Clean stabilizers and electronic appliances constantly to ensure smooth functioning.
- Clear out the refrigerators and switch them off when you plan to leave your house locked for more than two or three days.
- Defrost refrigerators from time to time and give them a rest of at least three to six hours every month.
- Avoid using fancy lighting and serial lighting to the maximum possible extent.
- Service your electronic devices from time to time and change them if they are too old for use lest they burn a hole in your pocket.
- Avoid unnecessary electrical charging of batteries, cell phones and generators.
- Whenever you use the electrical devices to the optimum extent by maximizing their capacity; the consumption of electricity automatically goes up.
Remember you when you imbibe the habit of becoming electrically we can achieve a three-pronged agenda. Not only can we save electricity, we can also cut down on our electric bills and prevent fortuitous accidents and slow down the global warming a wee bit!